Varese takes amazing photos. She had a solo show up at Ritual for a very short while. After investing thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours creating the photos, the show was promptly taken down when the owner saw it. She also fired the person responsible for curating the show. Her reason? It was too serious.
According to the owner, patrons can’t intellectually handle anything more than “fluffier stuff, stuff that doesn’t make people think about tough questions in life: pictures of telephone poles, birds sitting on the wires, tapestries of heavy metal lyrics.” Ah, of course! Tapestries of heavy metal lyrics go great with my espresso!!
Below is the email she received. Click here to see the full-sized version.
Here is a link to the photos: http://vareservoir.com/making-room-up-now—
And here is the artist’s statement that was so offensive: http://vareservoir.com/making-room-up-now—/statement
- gerianne-spencer reblogged this from snapandgo
- jufemaiz reblogged this from snapandgo and added:
- pop-arcana reblogged this from snapandgo and added:
- yoctoontologist likes this
- zhaozhoubinks reblogged this from snapandgo
- iamnotadesigner likes this
- ottoventa said: I stopped in on Sunday and saw the show and was taken by the beauty and power of the images. I thought, “Bravo for Ritual, finally showing something that isn’t wasting my eyes or life.” The other side of the coin is always bitter, isn’t it ? Fuck.
- ottoventa likes this
- iamsurenoonewillnotice likes this
- swellkh reblogged this from snapandgo and added:
- itsnotthatserious reblogged this from snapandgo and added:
- deformative likes this
- kill-claudio-vol-2 said: What bullshit. Her photos are beautiful and I wish I had a space to show them. Eileen’s incredibly low opinion of the art-consuming abilities of her patrons (SAD TULIPS? THEY WILL RIOT!) is additional cause for concern.
- indieuh said: what the hell?
- andnowi-mscared reblogged this from snapandgo
- realhorrorshowptitsa reblogged this from snapandgo
- snapandgo posted this